The 1913 Centennial Park portion of the battlefield was recognized as early as 1866 as a special plot of land to be set aside to honor all the military personnel who had fought and died in the War of 1812. In 1878 the land was called the Old Battle Ground and was used for patriotic meetings, political rallies, church picnics, and other events.
New York State took control of the Navy Yard in 1967 and began acquiring more of the historic battlegrounds, including the most recent forty acres in 2006.
CONSTRUCTION OF THE STEAMSHIP ‘ONTARIO’:
Construction of the Ontario took place in Sackets Harbor in 1816, and opened steamboat commerce with Canada. The steamship made its first steam-powered voyage on Lake Ontario from the Sackets Harbor village. Ontario continued to serve Lake Ontario until 1832, when she was scrapped at Oswego.